You can do quite some sight seeing in Munich itself:
- Walk from the hotel right into the city center to see Karlsplatz/Stachus, Marienplatz with the city hall and the Mary's column. Take a look in the Hofbräuhaus, so you can say you were there.
- Visit Nymphenburg Palace with park, the former royal summer residence.
- Visit olympic park with an excellent overview from the Olympic Tower.
- Visit Deutsches Museum, the world's largest museum of science and technology.
- Visit Bavaria Filmstadt, where movies are made in Germany and you can visit the studios.
- Visit BMW Welt, if you like to learn all about those cars made in Bavaria.
- Visit Botanic Garden
- Visit Tierpark Hellabrunn, the zoo in Munich.
To get around, a day ticket for the subway may be useful.
For a day trip, you can visit the following places:
- Castles Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau in Füssen.
- City of Berchtesgaden with visit to Königsee, where you can do the boat trip over the year to the St. Bartholomä church and walk to upper lake.
In Berchtesgaden, the tour through salt mine is quite interesting or a visit to Kehlsteinhaus / Eagle's Nest (outlook on top of the mountain).
- City of Salzburg in Austria, the Mozart city with Hohensalzburg Castle, Mirabell Palace and cathedral and beautiful old city center.
- City of Garmisch-Partenkirchen with cable car up to top of Zugspitze mountain.
- Palace Herrenchiemsee and lake Chiemsee with nice parks.
- Train to go up on top of Wendelstein mountain to see Alps in one direction and Munich in other direction.